- Rachel Carson National Wildlife Refuge, 321 Port Road, Route 9. Great hiking on their one-mile Carson Trail which meanders through pine woods and offers views of expansive, tidal saltmarshes. Leashed pets are allowed on the Trail. The refuge also offers wildlife observations, photography, interpretive programs, hunting and limited boating opportunities. 207-646-9226. www.fws.gov/refuge/rachel_carson/
- Wells Reserve at Laudholm, 342 Laudholm Farm Road. The Reserve’s 7 miles of trails provide spectacular view and access to woodlands, fields, wetlands, beach and dunes. The gentle terrain is ideal for casual hikers, cross-country skiers and snowshoeing. The varied landscape is prized by artists, photographers and nature lovers of every age. No pets. No bikes. 207-646-1555. www.wellsreserve.org.
- Wells Harbor is operated by the Town of Wells and contains a private marina offering canoes and kayak rentals, fishing bait and tackle. Boats on trailers can be launched from the Harbor for a fee (includes parking). No fees apply to the launching of kayaks, canoes or sailboards. 207-646-3236. www.wellstown.org/208/Harbormaster.
- Town of Wells Wildlife Commons includes 4 separate wildlife areas and offers miles of trails through diverse landscapes including trout streams and rivers, freshwater marshes and tall forests, cliffs and waterfalls. Enjoy wildlife, photography, fishing, geocaching, snowshoeing, skiing, blueberrying, picnicking, pet walking. 207-646-5113. www.wellsconservation.org.
- Eastern Trail Alliance Bicycle Trails. Sections of the Eastern Trail on-road bicycle route includes the back roads in Wells. The route is a recreational and transportation greenway connecting Kittery to South Portland Maine. www.easterntrail.org.
- Wells Recreation Park, 412 Branch Road, Route 9A. The Park consists of 70 acres which include nature trails, soccer fields, baseball fields, a playground, tennis courts, basketball courts, picnic area and horseshoe pits. Public restrooms are open May through October. Tennis courts are available for use May through October (fees apply). Snowshoes and cross-country skis are available for rent in the winter months. 207-646-5826. www.wellsrec.org.